Building your own business and need help getting your marketing efforts off the ground? Or interested in learning how to market yourself better as a freelancer?
This new business course is designed to help entrepreneurs and freelancers navigate today’s digital ecosystem to better market their business. In this three-part course, you’ll learn how to establish your company’s website and online presence, build your online reputation and influence, and reach and engage your online audience. You’ll also learn about various platforms, tools, and other important digital resources you’ll need as marketers.
This is a beginners’ intro course with no prerequisites (other than knowing how to use the Internet!). You may choose to take classes individually or all together. A course syllabus is included below.
Dates: Thursday, Sept 15, 22, and 29
Where: LiLi Centre
LiLi Centre members: Fr. 50.- per class / Fr. 120.- for all three classes
Non-members: Fr. 75.- per class / Fr. 200.- for all three classes
Sept. 15 — Building Your Own Website
By the end of this class, you’ll have the framework needed to begin building your own website, or at least be able to communicate effectively with a web designer to build a site that accomplishes your business goals. Note: this is not a coding or programming class, but rather a strategy and project management class. We will cover the following topics in this class:
- Top drag-and-drop website builders and open-source content management systems
- Mobile devices and responsive design
- Setting goals and calls to action
- How to build an information architecture and content plan
- Tips for content, photography, and design
Sept. 22 — Essential SEO
This class covers the basics of search engine optimization and how to build your online reputation as a company or brand. We’ll also discuss how to build an executable SEO plan for your company website. We will cover the following topics:
- What search rankings are and how they work
- Local SEO vs. non-local SEO
- How to optimize your website pages for search engines like Google and Bing
- The key directories where your website should be listed
- Why reviews are important to SEO
Sept. 29 — Engaging your customers: email, social media, and more
In this class, we’ll talk about strategies for engaging customers, as well as how to design and build a digital marketing campaign to accomplish your business objectives. We’ll also talk about building a “stacklist” of important digital tools that you’ll need as a marketer. We will cover the following topics:
- Free or inexpensive marketing software for email, social media, landing pages, and video
- Using social tools for customer service and customer engagement
- How much is too much—how often to do customer outreach
- Strategizing and building a campaign on a limited budget
- Setting metrics to measure the success of your campaign
About the Instructor
Nancy Huang is a seasoned marketing and communications strategist with 10+ years experience specializing in brand development, content marketing, and digital strategy, particularly for the B2B market. She began her career in public relations, developing campaigns and landing top media coverage for Los Angeles’ top restaurants and tastemakers. She moved to New York in 2012, where she founded Brand Lark, a consultancy that helps innovative brands establish an influential voice in their industry. She has worked with a diverse clientele across a variety of industries, including travel, hospitality, tech, financial services, design, and more. In 2015, she moved to Luzern, Switzerland, where she continues her work surrounded by the breathtaking backdrop of the Swiss Alps.
HOW TO REGISTER
Click below and fill out the form to register for the class. You will receive an email with instructions on how to submit payment.
Interested but can’t make the dates? Or have any questions about the class itself? Email the instructor, Nancy Huang, directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. If there is enough interest, we may schedule another session later this fall.